The historic military post in Mineral Wells, Texas, about 50 miles west of Fort Worth on Highway 180, has functioned under a variety of names and performed a variety of services over the almost 90 years of its history.
First, as Camp Wolters, it served the Texas National Guard, primarily as a training facility and a portion of the old post still supports Guard training activities. Later, the majority of the post served as the largest U. S. Army training facility during World War II. Still later, it served as an air force base.
As the need for helicopter pilots grew to support the Vietnam War effort, the base again changed its name, this time to Fort Wolters. After the war, the base was closed and most of the property transferred to the City of Mineral Wells. Later, its name was changed to Wolters Industrial Park, and many of its properties were sold to a wide variety of buyers who used them for homes, storage units, businesses, city facilities and other uses.
Camp Wolters / Fort Wolters Chronology
- Grant for construction of Texas National Guard Training Camp given to Brigadier General Jacob F. Wolters in 1925.
- Construction of Infantry Replacement Training Center began on November 12, 1940.
- Camp Wolters officially turned over to U.S. Army on March 22, 1941.
- Brigadier General William H. Simpson assumed command of the Infantry Replacement Training Center on April 5, 1941.
- Camp Wolters deactivated January 19, 1946.
- Local businessman’s group bought some of the Camp in April 1947 and formed Camp Wolters Enterprises, Inc.
- U.S. Army resumed control of the base on December 2, 1955.
- Formal transfer of Camp Wolters to U.S. Army control occurred at a dedication ceremony on July 13, 1956.
- U. S. Army Primary Helicopter School activated at Camp Walters on September 26, 1956.
- The school was officially redesignated the U. S. Army Primary Helicopter School on December 28, 1956.
- Camp Wolters was redesignated Fort Wolters, Texas, on June 1, 1963. The official dedication ceremonies were held on July 4, 1963.
- Fort Wolters was redesignated the U. S. Army Primary Helicopter Center/School on March 15, 1966.
- The U. S. Army Primary Helicopter Center/School was transferred to the U. S. Army Aviation School at Fort Rucker, Alabama, in 1973.
- Fort Wolters was deactivated in 1975.
- Fort Wolters was renamed Walters Industrial Park in the late 1970s.